Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Saturday 30 October 2010

Autumn at the Gardens

I went along to Castle Bromwich Hall Gardens for my October visit this afternoon but we only had time to walk around the formal walled garden today. Lots of autumn colour in the leaves and there are still a few flowers about.

I saw a few more birds there today - blackbird, magpie, wood pigeon, robin, blue tit, sparrowhawk and fleeting glimpses of a flock of redwings.

The light was poor today but here are some of the photos I took.
























This pretty plant is Salvia horminium. Its been in "flower" at the Gardens for months now and I really must plant some of this annual in our garden next year.












St Mary and St Margaret's Church





I visited part of the gardens today (near to the hall) where I haven't been before. You can only gain entry to this part if you go on a guided tour so a kind volunteer gave us a tour just of this part of the Gardens.

Parterre in the North Garden with Castle Bromwich Hall in the background



Ornamental Gate (restored by the Trust) once used by residents of the Hall to reach the Church






I've put my moth trap out tonight but things are not looking promising - I checked a few minutes ago and there were no moths in the trap (again) and its also started to rain. I suspect it won't take long to empty in the morning!

2 comments:

The Quacks of Life said...

does looks a nice garden. the autumn colour has been good this year.

mothing over for another year?

Ragged Robin said...

The colours seem to be getting better and better - as you say a good year.

I actually caught a few moths this weekend so I may be mothing for a few more weeks yet :D