Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Wednesday 25 August 2010

Rain Stops Play!

Constant heavy showers over the last six days means there is little to report on wildlife in the garden recently. Actually, Sunday was dry and sunny but the day seemed to be dominated by Newcastle hammering Aston Villa 6-0 (still shell-shocked!!).

I haven't seen a butterfly for days and I only get the odd sighting of a bird at the feeders as it dashes from cover braving the rain to grab a morsel of food. I haven't bothered running the moth trap as it has rained every night and my one and only experience of emptying a trap after a night of heavy rain (had to rescue half drowned moths languishing in sodden egg boxes) means I am not in a hurry to risk it again.

I shall be passing near Packwood House and Gardens tomorrow afternoon so IF its dry I will pop in and take a few photos.

Last night when my son arrived home he called to tell me there was a beautiful double rainbow and I just managed to grab my camera in time to take a couple of shots. The second rainbow had almost faded but the main one was still full of colour.




3 comments:

The Quacks of Life said...

love the rain and the post below about castle bromwich.

must not laugh at 6-0 to a newly promoted side. must not laugh .......:D

Tricia Ryder said...

So frustrating to miss out on the wildlife at the moment isn't it! I'm getting quite twitchy ;) I've turned back home on two different days this week - just driven back by the rain!!

Amazing rainbow picture - glad you caught it :D

Ragged Robin said...

Pete - glad you liked the postings. After last night's defeat Villa situation just gets worse! Dreading Everton match on Sunday. Its going to be a long season :D

Tricia - Glad you liked the rainbow photo - was quite pleased I caught it as they fade so quickly. I feel cooped up too. Abandoned planned Packwood visit yesterday as it never stopped raining. Its dry now but you might know domestic and family duties today mean I can't get out :D